Mozy at a Glance
3.75 / 5 stars
- Click here to save 15% with a Mozy promo code.
- MozyHome Free: $Free
- MozyHome 50GB: $5.99/month, $65.89/year with one month of free service or $125.79/two years with three months free service. Additional storage space available for 20GB for $2.00. Promotional code can reduce that amount.
- MozyHome 125GB: $14.99/month, $109.89/year with one month free service or $209.79/two years with three months free service. Additional storage space available for 20GB for $2.00. Promotional code can reduce that amount.
- MozyPro: Starts at 10GB for $9.99/month, $109.89/year and $209.79/two years. Larger storage plans available.
- McAfee Online Backup Powered by Mozy $59.99/Year
- Free 2GB for backup or sync.
- Tracks all changes.
- Backs up automatically.
- Keeps files for 30 days.
- Macintosh version available.
- Will backup locked files.
- Can throttle bandwidth.
- Can backup to a local hard drive and online.
- First time backup is quite slow.
- File sharing only through mobile app.
- MozyPro required to backup business files.
- Storage plans small compared to competitors
Latest Posts / Deals about Mozy
- Mozy Black Friday Promotional Code
- Mozy 2 for Mac Released
- Mozy Announces Version 2 for Windows
- Mozy Launches in UK and Ireland
- Mozy St. Patrick’s Day Promotional Code
- Mozy Valentines Special
- Mozy Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday Promotional Code
- 50% Off Mozy Promotional Code
- Mozy Promotional Code for October and McAfee
- Mozy Promotional Code for September
Full Mozy Review
Mozy was started in 2005 and was acquired by EMC in 2007. They were one of the first in the industry and have over 3 million customers with worldwide offices in the UK, Ireland, France and Germany. With the recent additions of Mozy Stash and their mobile applications they continue to offer a very competitive cloud backup and storage service for home users.
Installing MozyHome has always been an easy task. Once you create an account on the Mozy website you will need to download a he desktop client for your operating system. After it is downloaded installation is as simple as double clicking the setup file.
I recently installed MozyHome on my Windows 8 test machine and recorded the setup if you want to see how easy it is.
You can see the traces of MozyPro in MozyHome. The client has many settings that allow you to control what you backup, when you backup and where you backup to. MozyHome has a god selection of file sets to choose from for home users and does allow you to view all of the available backup sets if you want. For most home users the defaults should backup the majority of a persons files but it is always a good thing to check and see if your most important files and folders are selected for backup. In the case of my test machine it did not automatically select the files and photos in the public user account so I selected those since that is what I wanted it to backup.
MozyHome also allows you to create and manage a local backup using the MozyHome client. A local backup is always a good of idea and the fact that it is built into MozyHome is an excellent additional feature of MozyHome. I did not have an external hard drive attached to my test machine so I did not try the local backup option this time through but have used the option in the past. It creates a separate folder that and creates a local copy of you backup.
For home users that use Outlook or other software that locks file MozyHome has the ability to use volume shadow copy (VSS) to create snapshots of locked files to back them up. This is a feature that comes through from the MozyPro software. It can be extremely useful to backup files you are currently working on and helps MozyHome rise above some other services that do not use the Microsoft VSS system.
You can restore your files from MozyHome in four ways:
- Using the desktop client.
- Using the virtual drive that MozyHome creates to browse your files and restoring them.
- Using the Mozy web portal to restore your files and downloading them to your computer.
- Using the Mozy mobile apps to browse and restore files on your mobile device.
My test backup was only a few GB so I was able to easily restore files from my backed up files in all four ways. MozyHome keeps 30 versions of your files so if you need to restore a file from the past you can easily select a previous version to restore. If you do manage a local backup with MozyHome it will try to restore from that archive as well since that is faster for large restores.
It is important to remember that the backup in MozyHome stores files for 30 days. If you accidentally delete a file after 30 days it is removed from the cloud backup.
Stash – There is a more complete review of Mozy Stash available here, but to summarize, Stash is the cloud storage and file sync feature of MozyHome. It is currently included with MozyHome but is a separate install. Stash will automatically store and sync your files that are added tot he Stash folder. It shares storage with your MozyHome account. If you have a 50GB MozyHome account you
Mobile – The Mozy mobile app offers easy access to browse your backed up files as well as automatomatically upload your photos and videos from your mobile device up to Mozy. Since those are the most common files you create on your mobile device Mozy will automatically protect those files by coping them to the cloud. I had no problem accessing my files either in my backup test or in my Stash folder and downloading them to my mobile. At the moment you cannot stream your music or video, but only download to then play on your device.
Sharing – It is possible to share files from your Mozy backup through the mobile app. You can download the file you want to share and then easily send it to any app that your mobile supports. Not as easy sharing in some other services but it does let you send the files you need to send. Would be nice if you could share from the web portal as well and perhaps that will be something that is coming.
Web Portal – The Mozy web portal has gotten better since they introduced Stash. You can browse and restore your backup as well as upload files directly in your web browser if you want to put something in your Stash folder.
Support – MozyHome support is not as good as the Pro version of their software. You are limited to their knowledge base, community support forum and live chat. Phone support is limited to the Pro and Enterprise customers.
Mozy strikes a good balance between being easy to use and providing power users with the options they want to customize their backup. The addition of local backup and online storage and sync with Stash make Mozy an excellent option for home users. The only downside of using Mozy is their storage plan sizes 50GB and 125GB storage plans are simply not large enough for many home users. You can purchase additional storage space but $2.00/20GB/month additional storage can get expensive quickly compared to other services that do offer unlimited storage. If you are not needing additional storage Mozy is still an excellent choice to keep your files backed up and synced.
Mozy Promo Code
Save on your Mozy online backup subscription with our exclusive Mozy promotional code. Simply enter click through and enter our Mozy promo code in the second page of the sign up form.
Start Backing up with Mozy
More Mozy Reviews
CNET [xrr rating=3/5]
Mozy is the simple way to back up all the important stuff on your computer so in the event of disaster, your data is still retrievable.
PC Mag [xrr rating=3/5]
Mozy improves ease of use and setup, but still supports just one computer per account and doesn’t let you back up network or removable drives. That keeps it a step behind the competition.