SpiderOak at a Glance
4.25 / 5 stars
[pods name=”review” slug=”9080″ field=”plans”]
- Backup, Sync, Share, Access and Storage
- Multi Platform Support – Mac, Windows, Linux Compatible
- 100% Zero-knowledge Privacy
- Add any number of computers at NO additional cost
- Storage & time saving De-Duplication
- Perpetual Deleted File & Historical Version Storage
- 10-15 Times Faster than traditional backup solutions
- Wholly Fault-Tolerant Design
- Scheduling or automatic backups
- Offers iPhone, iPad and Android mobile apps
- Only offer a free 2GB trial now. Was 2GB of free space for life.
- No bandwidth throttle
- Email support only
[pods name=”review” slug=”9080″ field=”sign_up”]
Latest Posts / Deals about SpiderOak
- SpiderOak Reveals New Pricing and Plans
- SpiderOak Cyber Monday 1TB Promo
- SpiderOak Offers Discount on Golden Frog’s VyprVPN
- Edward Snowden Again Recommends SpiderOak
- Edward Snowden Endorses SpiderOak, Slams Dropbox
- SpiderOak Reset the Net Promo
- Transfer Your AVG LiveKive Account to SpiderOak
- SpiderOak World Backup Day Unlimited Storage Promo
- SpiderOak Unlimited Plans Coming!
- SpiderOak Data Privacy Day Promo Code
There are online backup services and then there is SpiderOak. SpiderOak is more than just an online backup service, they are an online backup service, a file sharing service and remote file access service rolled into one. Add to that, the fact that you can use SpiderOak on Windows, Mac and Linux machines and SpiderOak is poised to become a leader in online backup.
Security is first and foremost with SpiderOak. All data is encrypted locally on your computer before being sent up to the SpiderOak servers. Your data is so secure in fact that not even SpiderOak can gain access to your files or look at the file names. The “zero knowledge” policy with SpiderOak makes it very important that you do not lose or forget your password. SpiderOak cannot reset your password for you since it is used on your computer to encrypt the data before being sent to SpiderOak.
The SpiderOak itself is easy to use whether you are using a Windows computer, a Macintosh or a Linux machine. The software runs and behaves similarly on all platforms and is easy to use. To backup simply select the folders you want to backup and SpiderOak will do the rest. The software regularly scans your computer and the folders that you have selected for backup for changes and uploads those files. You can force a scan to occur and start a backup of changed files. There does not seem to be a way to schedule a backup to occur at a particular time. The closest I could find was a way to set how often the scan for changed files takes place.
SpiderOak has also made it easy to share files that you have already backed up. While some services offer file sharing many of them give you space for backup and storage/file sharing separately. With SpiderOak you can share files from your backed up files. It is a simple matter of clicking the Share tab on the software, creating a ShareId and creating a new Share Room. This is an excellent feature for those that want to share photos of the kids with friends and family without needing or copying the files to another server. Simply do your backup like normal and share the latest folder.
Users can also access all their backed up files over the web by simply logging in with your username and password on the SpiderOak website. From there you can easily access and download your files using your web browser. This give you access to downloading your files where ever you have Internet access.
While the price is a little higher than some other services you are able to backup up multiple computers with one account. You could easily backup your main desktop, the kids computer and your laptop all on one account. Overall SpiderOak is a solid backup service perfect for home and business online backup needs.